Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lazy Morning Waffles

Waffles almost never make an appearance in the house except for the Eggo kind on hectic weekdays. They show up lots when guests are staying, because they're pretty impressive, especially if they're dusted with powdered sugar and have a side of fruit.

I'm just kind of reluctant to bust out the waffle iron often because pancakes can easily be made with a simple skillet and a bowl or two. So my poor waffle maker tends to hang out in the pantry for far too long than it should.

However. I woke up at around nine thirty today and decided to make waffles. The batter came together quickly and all I had to do was let my iron do the work after that. I made them in my pajamas too. Because that's the only way to do it :)

lazy morning waffle



Buttermilk Waffles
from this blog

2 eggs
2 c buttermilk
2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 c and 2 T shortening (I used 1/4 c melted butter and it worked fine)

Heat waffle iron. Beat eggs and then add the rest of the ingredients. Beat it all together till smooth. Follow the directions on your waffle maker.

I made chocolate waffles and replaced 1/2 cup of the flour with 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 cup granulated sugar.

These waffles were great - crunchy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment