Monday, January 16, 2012

Sugar N Spice Cookies

Now that the holidays are over, things are back to normal and I've got a little more time to blog. Today I'm sharing an old recipe that my grandmother used to make. Now my father makes them and so do I!
It's a very old recipe:
sugar n spice
These are full of spices and smell delicious while they're baking.

Sugar n Spice Cookies (single batch)

Preheat oven to 375F (190C).

Thoroughly mix together 3/4 cup soft shortening (Crisco), 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup molasses.

Sift together 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons of soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon cloves, and 3/4 teaspoon ginger. Stir this into the shortening mixture.

Form into balls the size of small walnuts. Place about 2 in. apart on grease baking sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. I find that 12 minutes works perfectly.

Usually we bake these during the holidays and give them as gifts, so we make a double batch. A double batch gets about 100 cookies. It all depends on how big you make them though.

and everything nice

1 comment:

  1. Wow, 100 cookies?!

    I love old recipes. I don't know why but I think they're so vintage and cute in a way ^^ gotta try these!

    http://daily-iphoneography.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete